Thursday, January 01, 2009

RTBWOW update; Leafs items ...

Since I didn't bring a laptop with me, my internet access has been spotty at best because I am trying to maximize the vacation time instead of updating the blog. Since I only have a few days left, I'm thinking that when I return on Monday that I'll crank out blog entries and photos for all to see from this trip. It's just easier. However, I will throw the group one bone. Here it goes ...

I did see the Toronto Maple Leafs-Buffalo Sabres hockey game tonight. A 4-1 Sabres victory and the first time in the three games I've seen that the home team lost. Perhaps it had something to do with the fact that I wore a t-shirt I've had since attending a New Jersey Devils-Maple Leafs playoff game in New Jersey in 2000 (when the Devils went on to win the Stanley Cup that year). I saw Game 6 of that second-round series and it was the clincher for the Devils. I've had the shirt ever since. To be honest, I've never been a Leafs fan, but this team this year is so lousy, they really don't need me to jinx them.

Also, the other real setback for seeing this Leafs team in the Air Canada Centre is that this is the WRONG building for them to be playing in. The old Maple Leaf Gardens, the organization's home for 75 years or so, was vacated by the team in favor of the ACC, which is located near the CN Tower and Rogers Centre (the old Skydome) where the Toronto Blue Jays baseball team plays and the Buffalo Bills played an NFL game vs. Miami Dolphins in December.

To be honest, it was weird seeing the Leafs' history -- banners of retired greats, the 13 Stanley Cup banners (two as the St. Pats) and a ton of great old-time hockey photos -- blasted all over an arena that also hosts the NBA's Toronto Raptors. Think about that for a moment. The Leafs fans still show up in droves, but many are ticket scalpers outside the arena. I went by the old Maple Leaf Gardens on Tuesday night and it nearly broke my heart to see the place so deserted and aged. Makes me want to buy the place (I reckon it's not going anywhere because of its historical nature) and turn it back into something the city can be proud of rather than something that looks like an eyesore. If the Hockey Hall of Fame were to ever want to move out of its existing beautiful building, I'd love to see the HHOF take over the Maple Leaf Gardens facility.

No comments: